This scholarship was created in memory of Mary Rita Batesole, whose many years of committed stewardship of the environmental health and well-being of Lakes Rescue and Pauline in Ludlow, Vermont was unwavering. The scholarship will support a regional graduating high school senior or a currently enrolled college or vocational student pursuing environmental education, broadly defined. Students must demonstrate a strong commitment to the environment and be currently or planning to earn a degree in any field related to understanding and promoting environmental health and/or environmental sustainability.
AMOUNT: One scholarship of up to $1,000. Applicants may re-apply in successive years.
ELIGIBILITY: Successful applicant must:
- reside in southern Windsor County, Vermont or surrounding towns. (Towns include Andover, Baltimore, Cavendish, Chester, Clarendon, Ludlow, Mt. Holly, Mount Tabor, Plymouth, Reading, Shrewsbury, Springfield, Wallingford, Weathersfield, West Windsor, Weston, Windsor, and Woodstock.) Qualified Lakes Rescue/Pauline long-term seasonal residents may also be considered. Preference will be given to Ludlow residents.
- be a graduating high school senior or currently enrolled college/vocational school student
- seeking a degree or certificate in any field related to environmental education and/or sustainability
- demonstrate academic achievement
- demonstrate a strong work ethic and school/community involvement, preferably but not necessarily in environmental endeavors
- demonstrate financial need
- for graduating high school seniors, letter of acceptance from chosen institution, when available.
- Completed application (link below)
- Official academic transcript with a minimum GPA of 2.85
- 2 non-family letters of recommendation. These may be from teachers, employers, religious leaders, or community service supervisors.
- FAFSA form (the form and instructions can be found here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa)
- Letter of acceptance from chosen institution, when available
APPLICATION PROCESS: The application and these instructions can be found at lakerescue.org/scholarship. A complete application packet can be either e-mailed or postal mailed. The application should be downloaded, completed, and then either attached with supporting materials in an email to email@example.com, or sent by postal mail to Lake Rescue Association, PO Box 372, Ludlow, VT 05149. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application must be received (electronically or postmarked) by May 15, 2019.
APPLICATION REVIEW AND AWARD NOTIFICATION: Applications will be reviewed by a committee of Lake Rescue Association board members. All applicants will be notified by June 15, 2019. For the award recipient, upon receipt of acceptance letter from the chosen institution, award will be sent directly to the recipient’s educational institution, not to the recipient.